For Karabath(Uppittu or upma)
1 cup sooji/rava
1 small onion sliced
1 medium sized tomato chopped
2-3 green chillies slit
1/4″ ginger finely chopped
1/4 cup almost cooked vegetables(carrot, beams and peas). Vegetables should not be mushy
1/2 tspn mustard seeds
1 tbspn chana dhal
1 tbspn urad dhal
1 sprig curry leaves
A generous pinch of turmeric
2 cups warm water
2 tbspn oil
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a deep bottomed kadai or pan. In another hot pan add rava and dry roast till for 3-4 mins till aroma is released.
2. Add mustard seeds and wait till they crackle. Add chana dhal and urad dhal and saute for a min and then add cashews till they turn golden brown
3. Add sliced onions, ginger and green chillies, saute till onions turn translucent. Add turmeric and mix it , allow it for a min.
4. Add chopped tomatoes and saute till tomatoes are mushy. Next add cooked vegetables, water.
5. When water starts boiling add rava slowly constantly mixing. Reduce the flame to low and cover it and cook it till uppittu starts leaving the sides of the pan, make sure to stir it after every min.
6. Uppitti/Upma is ready. Serve hot with coconut chutney or pickle
1 cup dry roasted rava
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup ghee
Few strands of saffron soaked in 1 tspn milk or yellow food grade food color.
1. Dry roast rava in a heavy bottom kadai. Once rava starts to release flavour remove it in a bowl and keep aside
2. Heat 1 tspn ghee in kadai. Roast cashews until golden brown and remove it in another bowl.
3. Add water to the kadai and once it starts boiling reduce flame to low and add rava make sure to stir continuously so no lumps are formed.
4. Once rava is cooked and almost all water is dried up add ghee and saffron and mix well. Continue to cook on low flame for about 5 mins covered with a lid, stirring every 1 min.
5. Hot yummy kesari is ready to serve.
Serving suggestions:- Serve uppittu and kesari together with coconut chutney. Its Karnataka’s famous breakfast dish called “chow chow bath”