I baked a plain bun and used the bun as a basket to bake an egg.
This super cool recipe is perfect for kids dinner or lunch. Serve with a hot soup and enjoy it as full meal.
Here is recipe-
Recipe inspired from here.
For the dough:
- All-purpose flour – 3 cups, extra for dusting
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – 2 tablespoon
- Active dry yeast/Instant Dry yeast – 1 tablespoon
- Luke warm water – 1 cup, adjust
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoon
For the filling:
1 egg for each bun basket
1/4 cup finely chopped spring onions
A pinch of salt
A pinch pepper powder
1 tspn celery finely chopped
1/2 green chillies finely chopped
1. In a bowl, add sugar and luke warm water Add yeast into it, mix well and set aside for 10 mins. It will foam up and bubble. Wait for 10 minutes for the yeast to react. If your yeast wont react, discard and start over.
2. In another large bowl, add flour, salt and olive oil. Mix well. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the yeast mixture into it. Mix everything together again. If the dough is not very soft, add about a tablespoon of water at a time and make sure your dough becomes soft and sticky. Soft sticky dough usually yields soft breads/buns.
3. Transfer dough onto your work counter. Start kneading. Best way to knead bread dough is to stretch and fold. Knead for 10 -15 mins. You will find the sticky dough transform into a smooth shiny dough.
4. With the soft dough, make a ball with all the seams sealed at the bottom of the dough. Rub olive oil all over the dough and leave it covered in damp cloth for about an hour until the dough doubles in volume.
5. Punch the dough. and knead again for 1-2 mins. Now the dough is ready to be shaped and baked. You can divide the dough into portions to make different rolls or buns out of it. I divided the dough into 5 portions.
6. Take a portion and knead for a minute and bring all seams to one side and place the seam end to the bottom and make a nice ball out of it.
7.Allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes until its size increases a bit.
8. Brush it with egg. You can do milk wash also. Egg wash has to be very soft without disturbing the proven dough.Bake in pre-heated oven at 200 degree C for 20 -25 minutes. You will have to bake the buns slightly longer till they are nice and firm(unlike the regular buns which would be soft)
9. Once the buns are golden brown, take it out of oven, place them on wire rack and brush it with oil immediately while it is hot. Brushing oil while hot will soften the crust. Allow it to cool completely.
10. Using a sharp knife, slice off the top of the bun, reserve the top, and scoop out the inner bread until a large hole is formed into which you can pour in the eggs.
11. Sprinkle salt on the inner portion, sprinkle some pepper powder, add 1/2 tspn chopped onions, 1/4 tspn green chillies, break an egg and gently pour into the hole and top it with some finely chopped celery and grated cheese.
12. Repeat step 11 for all the buns you have.
13. Bake these baskets(do not bake the top which was sliced off) in a pre-heated oven at 180 deg centi for about 15-20 mins until the eggs are cooked.
14. Tastes best when eaten hot. Serve it with a hot cup of tomato, carrot and celery soup or any soup of your choice.