Can anyone forget the fond memories associated with cream biscuits? When I was a kid, I remember I used to buy cream cookies from shop just for the cream. Would lick the cream from each and every biscuit and leave out the biscuit. Now my daughter does that. She picks all varieties of cream biscuits from shop. When I give her the biscuit as snacks to school, she licks the cream alone and brings back the cookies .
With this recipe you can make home made cream biscuits and need not be worried about what goes in the biscuits or cream! Give your kids hygienic cream cookies with this simple home made cream biscuit recipe.
Subhashini of Fondbites, came up with this recipe for all members. This recipe is Bake Along #34 – Orange Cream Biscuits
Recipe source – Fondbites Bake Along
- Unsalted butter – 115 gms
- Caster sugar – 115 gms
- Egg yolk – 1
- Golden Syrup/Honey/Caramel syrup – 2 teaspoons
- Orange zest – 2 teaspoons
- All-purpose flour – 150 gms
- Custard powder – 25 gms, vanilla flavoured
- Baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
For cream –
- Unsalted butter – 40 gms
- Icing sugar – 75 gms
- Orange juice – 1 teaspoon
- Orange food colouring – 4 drops, optional
- Prepare the oven, pre-heat oven to 180 degree C. Line up baking tray with baking paper or silicon mat.
- Sift together flour, custard powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
3. In a bowl add butter and caster sugar in your bowl and beat at medium high speed for about 3 to 5 minutes until the mixture is creamy, pale and fluffy.
4. Add the zest, honey and yolk to the butter mixture and beat on medium speed for about couple of minutes until they are incorporated well. Beat until the mixture turns pale yellow.
5. Add the sifted flour mixture and beat just until the flour gets incorporated.
6. It will be a crumbly mass,use your hands to give it a rough knead and make a soft dough.
7. Make lemon size balls with your hands and place it on baking tray leaving space between. Bake in pre-heated oven for 18 to 20 minutes until the top is golden brown. Let cool on wire rack
For cream – Add butter and icing sugar in a bowl and use beater and mix it up well. Add zest of orange and orange juice and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes until the mixture is creamy and fluffy. Add orange food colouring and mix well until well combined. Transfer cream into a piping bag and snip off the tip of the piping bag with opening that is half an inch diameter. To half the number of cookies that have been baked, pipe the cream in the center.Take other piece of cookie and place it on top of the cream.
Devour then with a hot glass of milk. HEAVEN.
This recipe is for Fondbites, Bake Along, a group of enthusiastic bakers, bake one recipe every week