While food gawking, I came across this beautiful bread on net and there were a lot of variation to the way the bread was twisted to give a unique and beautiful pattern. The moment I saw this bread I had book marked and was on my to-do list for a very long time. I wasn’t sure enough if I would succeed in making such a beautiful bread.
Thanks to Subhashini of Fondbites, Bake Along, a weekly baking challenge, she gave us this bread for our Challenge # 39, Nutella Brioche. The moment I saw the challenge I was excited and all confident in trying out this bread, my earlier doubts kind of vanishes you see, I follow Subhashini’s recipe blind, as they are fool proof and she makes even the hardest challenge look doable with her simple-to-understand steps followed by step-by-step pictures. She is one of my Virtual Guru , and she is awesome :). A sweet humble person who will make baking experience so much enjoyable.
I decided to go with savory version, so I used home made pizza sauce for the spread.
Here’s the step-by-step instructions to how to make beautiful bread brioche
500 gms – Flour (250 gms of whole wheat flour + 250 gms of all purpose flour)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Instant dried yeast
2 table spoons – sugar
1 Table spoon butter
200 ml Milk
1 Cup Pizza Sauce
Milk – 1 tablespoons
Cooking Oil – 2 tablespoons
Method of Preparation:-
1. Take luke warm milk in a bowl, add sugar and yeast into the milk and mix well. Leave it for 10 minutes until the mixture froths up. If it does not froth, discard the mixture and start again.
2. Break the eggs into another bowl and beat them lightly. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, add flour and salt, mix. Make a well at the center, pour in the beaten eggs, melted butter and yeast mix and knead into a smooth dough.
4. Transfer the dough to a clean surface, dust little flour and knead for 20 mins. YES, you have to knead for 20 mins, no short cuts. Kneading has to been done by stretching the dough and then folding it back, refer to the photo. Keep kneading until the dough is smooth and shiny.
5. Make a ball , and transfer to the same bowl in which you started, grease the bowl and the dough with olive oil and cover it with damp cloth and leave it to prove for 1 hours or until the size of the dough has doubled the volume.
6. After the dough has risen to double the volume, Punch the dough and knead it roughly once again. Divide the dough into 4 portions.
7. Take one of the portion and roll it into a circle that is 2 mm thick. I used a plate to cut the round shape from the dough, so all my 4 portions are equal in size.
8. Grease the baking tray with olive oil and place the rolled dough on the baking tray. Spread pizza sauce on top of the rolled dough, leaving the edges.
9.Next take the second portion of the dough and roll it to the same size. Lift the roll carefully and place it on top of the first layer. Spread pizza sauce on top leaving the edges.
10. Repeat step 7 to 9 for other two layers. Do not spread the pizza sauce on top of the 4th and final layer.
11. Place a very small bowl or the mouth of a glass at the center of the layers. Using a sharp knife cut the circular layers into 4 exactly, leaving the center. Next cut in between the 4 portions and make 8 divisions . Finally cut in between the 8 portions making 16 wedges throughout.
12. To shape the flower – Refer to the photos. Take 2 neighboring wedges. Use both hands, to hold them. Turn the both, opposite to each other. The right hand should turn right and the left hand should turn left. This is the first twist. Now twist them again in the same opposite directions and make the second twist. Now twist them for another half a turn and pinch the outer edges and seal both the wedges while forming one petal of the flower. If you find it hard to understand please check this video.
13. Cover the flower with damp cloth and let it prove for another 30 minutes. Brush milk over the dough part. Be gentle while brushing, do not put pressure while brushing milk. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 18 t0 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the bottom edges are brown. Place on wire rack and immediately brush with olive oil and let cool.
14. Beautiful bread brioche is ready. Devour these yummy brioche for tea time snack or dinner. ENJOY!
I have used 50-50 flour, whole wheat and all purpose flour, you can use 100% all purpose flour. Using 100% whole wheat flour might change the texture of the brioche completely. SO I’m not too sure about 100% whole wheat flour.
For the spread, you can add Nutella filling(yummy sweet version of brioche), Basil pesto sauce, sun dried pesto sauce, pasta sauce, or even peanut butter and Nutella mix filling. Use your creativity
BTW, I am awarded “Consistent Baker” by Subhashini of Fondbites, Bake Along Challenge. The badge is my proud possession