Rava Idli is known to be originated in Karnataka and MTR(Mavalli Tiffin House) claim to have invented. This dish is famous in most house hold through out the nation. I love Rava Idli, and it’s a nice variation from regular idli that we make. When ever I get bored of the normal Idli/Dosa varieties, and run out of choice for breakfast menu, I instantly make these rava idli, and yes these Idli’s are instant ones. If you are in a mood to eat Idli’s and dont have batter at home, try these instant rava idli with some spicy coconut chutney or potato sagu and you will go satisfied
Makes about 16 idlis(my idli plates are a bit small)
Rava Idli Mix – 1.5 cups (I used the ready mix packet MTR brand, you can use any other brand, or home made mix too), will post how to make at home instant rava idli mix soon
Curd – 2.5 cups(Use thick curd, if the curd consistency is thin, the idlis will not raise, also if using home made curd, make sure the curd is set properly, if it has traces of milk(not completely set curd) the idlis sink)
Chopped Coriander leaves – 2 tbspn
Tomatoes – Thin slices
Cashwes – A few
Method of Preparation:-
1. In a bowl, add rava idli mix and half of the curd mentioned in the list and mix well. Leave it aside for 5 mins.
2. Meanwhile, grease the idli plates with oil, set aside, set the idli steamer with water on stove for it to boil.
3. By end of 5 mins you will notice, the curd in the mix has hardened and the entire mix hardened. Now add the remaining measure of the curd, chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
4. Pour the prepared rava batter on idli plates. Place them in steamer, close lid and steam it for about 11-12 mins on medium low flame.
5. Once Idli’s are cooked, remove the plates from steamer and allow it to stand for 3-5 mins. Then remove the idli’s from plates using a sharp edge tool like a spoon or knife or butter knife.
6. Serve Instant yummy hot rava idli with spicy coconut chutney or potato sagu(or I tried a variation and served one day with tomato gojju – recipe coming soon)
I have mentioned garnish ingredients – I use them some times when I make these Idli’s. This is how you can use them(again this is optional)
Just before pouring the batter onto the greased plates, place a very thin slice of tomato and on top a cashew and then pour the batter on top until the rim mark. And then follow the same steaming process. You can add just tomato slice or just a cashew piece or use both at the same time. Choice is yours.