Here’s step- by – step recipe to make chicken biryani-
Chicken – 500 gms
Rice – 2 cups(I used normal rice, basmati rice can be used too)
Onions – 3 medium sized sliced
Tomatoes – 4 medium sized finely chopped
Green chillies – 4 slit
Ginger – garlic paste – 2 tbspn
Cloves – 4 no
Cinammon – 2 piece, 1 inch size
Bay leaves – 1
Red chilli powder – 2 tbspn
Coriander Powder – 3 tbson
Tumeric powder – 1 tspn
Coriander and minr leaves chopped – 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil – 3 tbspn
Water – 3 3/4 cup
For Marination –
Red chilli powder – 1 tspn
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
Salt – 1 tspn
Method of Preparation:-
Wash chicken pieces 4-5 times thoroughly and remove any unwanted waste from the pieces . Add 1 tspn of tumeric powder , 1 tsp of salt and water to the chicken pieces and let it stand for 3-5 mins. Discard that water and then marinate the chicken pieces with 1 tspn of red chilli powder, 1/4 tspn of turmeric powder and 1 tspn of salt and leave it fridge for marination for minimum hour or until you would use.
1. Heat oil in pressure cooker. To hot oil add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves and saute for a min until they splutter,
2. Then add sliced onions and slit green chillies and saute until onions turn translucent.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and cook until raw smell of the paste is gone.
4. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder and mix.
5. Next add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes turns mushy and soft.
6. Add half the quantity of chopped coriander and mint leaves and saute for 1 min
7,8,9. Add marinated chicken pieces, mix well, and close the cooker with a plate and let the chicken cook for 5-10 mins covered until it’s half cooked
10. Add soaked rice(soak rice minimu half an hour) and mix with gentle hands making sure not to break the rice
11. Add 3 3/4 cups hot water mix well. Add salt to taste, remaining chopped coriander-mint leaves, cover the cooker lid and let it cook for 5 mins on medium flame. Then reduce the flame to full low and allow it to cook for another 15 mins. Biryani gets cooked in 15-20 min.