Diamond cut biscuits are usually made in Indian house hold during Diwali celebrations. There is sweet and savory version to this biscuits. I am presenting the savory version of the biscuit.
Here’s step wise instructions to make diamond cut savory biscuits
Maida/All purpose flour – 1 cup
Salt – 1 tbspn
Cooking soda – a pinch
Butter – 2 tbspn (melted)
Crushed peppers – 3 tspn
Cumin seeds – 2 tspn
White sesame seeds – 1 tbspn
Garlic paste – 1 tspn(from 5-6 pods)
Water – 1/4 – 1/2 cup(adjust)
Oil for deep frying
Method of preparation:-
1. In a morta n pesel add garlic and crush it until they are smooth and form a fine paste. Keep aside.
2. In a wide bowl add all the above ingredients except for oil. Add garlic paste to it. Mix well with your finger tips.
3. Now add water few tablespoons at a time and mix. You have to form a dough with consistency of chapathi dough. Becareful while adding water.
4. Rest the dough for min 1 hour.
5. Heat oil in a wide deep bottom pan. While oil gets hot, we will roll the dough.
6. Take a portion and roll it into a thin circle.Dust flour as and when needed.Roll it as thin as possible.
7. Using the cutter(you can use your pizza cutter or a simple knife too) cut first vertically then horizontally to form small diamonds.Carefully seperate them and make it ready.
8. To check if the oil is at the correct temperature, first pinch a tiny portion of dough,add it to oil if it raises to top immediately then oil is at the correct temperature…else heat the oil for few more seconds.Now gently gather the diamonds and drop in a sprinkled way,Cook in medium low flame – turn over for even cooking. Deep fry till golden brown and drain in tissue paper to absorb the excess oil.Repeat the process for the remaining dough.
9. Drain them on kitchen tissue paper and allow them to cool. Once cooled completely store in air tight container.
10. These biscuits are perfect snack with your tea, or even for after school snacks. Make these for Diwali and enjoy them! Happy Diwali!