There are so many variations to halwa. Any halwas are very popular among many. Some fear to eat halwa because of the amount of ghee used in it. This version of halwa is made in microwave, and the amount of ghee used in it is comparatively less. I love halwa, especially the Bombay halwa. Every time we go to a sweet stall I buy 2-3 piece of Bombay halwa just for me.
If you are too busy and don’t have much time during this festive season to make special dishes, make this halwa, these are very easy to prepare and needs only 10 mins to make and even better, it’s made in microwave, so no need to stand near stove until you complete the dish :). Give it a try.
Recipe inspired from – Rak’s Kitchen
Here’s the Step wise recipe for corn flour halwa using microwave
Corn flour – 3/4 cup
Sugar – 1 3/4 cup
Water – 2 cups
Ghee – 1 tbspn + little for greasing
Cashews – 5-10 nos, broken into pieces
Food color – A tiny pich(I used yellow color)
Method of Preparation:-
1. In a microwave safe bowl, add corn flour, sugar, water and food color and mix well using a wire whisk making sure no lumps are there.
2.Microwave in high for 3 mins. Remove and whisk again.
3. Place it back in microwave on high for 3 more mins. Remove and wisk.
4. Repeat this 3-4 times for a total time of 10-12 mins or until all the ingredients have cooked and they form a thick glossy mixture.
5. In a small pan, add ghee and fry the cashews until golden brown. Remove from stove.
6. Add the fried cashews along with the ghee into the halwa mix after it cooked.
7. Grease a square pan with ghee. Pour the halwa mix into the greased pan. Set it aside to set for min 30-45 mins.
8. Once fully set, cut them into squares using a sharp knife.
9. Garnish the pieces with cashews and serve. These keep good for 1-2 days at room temperature.
Make these for Diwali and enjoy!
If you don’t have microwave, you can make these on stove top
Ingredients quanatity remains the same, except you’ll have to use more ghee than mentioned. You’ll need about 1/2 cup + few tspns more ghee than mentioned.
1. Dry roast corn flour in a kadai on low flame until raw smell goes. Do not brown it. The color of corn flour should be white.
2. Add water, roasted corn flour and food color and mix well making sure no lumps are present.
3. Roast cahews in ghee until golden brown, keep aside.
3. In a kadai, add sugar and 1/4 cup water and bring it to boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved. You have to boil the sugar to 1 string consistency.
4. Once you get the sugar syrup to 1 string consistency, pour in corn flour mixture to sugar syrup. Stir continuosly.
5. Keep stiring, else lumps will form. Once the mix comes to jelly consistency add ghee 1 tbspn at a time, dont pour all the ghee at once, add them in parts.
6. Keep stirring till the ghee leaves the sides of the pan.Finally add the rosted nuts and mix well.
7.Pour the mix into greased pan and allow it to set. Once fully set cut them into squares using sharp knife and serve.