It’s late at night, and sometimes you want some crunchy chips to go with home made tomato salsa, but you don’t want anything fried or anything that is store bought! Happened to you? Well This was definitely me this weekend. So, I decided to come up with a simple baked chip recipe using home made corn tortillas. I hope you love them like I do . Try it, it’s low cal compared to a lot of those packets bought from store.
Here’s the recipe for home made corn tortillas and baked corn chips, tomato salsa.
For corn tortillas-
Maize flour(Makkai ki atta) – 2 cups
Maida/all purpose flour – 1/2 cup
Baking soda – 1 tspn
Olive Oil – 2 tbspn
Red chilli powder – 2 tbspn(Add more if you want like more spice)
Salt – to taste
Warm water – To knead
For Tomato salsa-
Tomatoes – 3-4 medium sized
Onions – 1 no
Green chilles – 1 large
Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup(Chopped)
Jalapenos – 1 large size(Pickled jalapenos goes well for salsa)
Salt – to taste
Lime juice – from 1 lime
Method of preparation:-
Home made corn tortilla recipe inspired from here
1. Sieve maize flour and all purpose flour into a large bowl. Mix well until combined. To the flour mix add baking soda, salt, red chilli powder and olive oil and mix well until it forms a crumb like consistency.
2. Add warm water little at a time and knead until you get a smooth non sticky dough.
3. Now cover it and let it set for 15 minutes then divide into equal portions and roll into balls, 8 for large tortillas or 12 for small tortillas.
4. Make a lemon sized ball, on a floured surface roll it evenly as thin as possible. It is very important to roll evenly and thin for even baking.
5. To get perfect round and same sized tortillas I used a round plate to cut the rolled dough.
6. Tortillas cook up fast, all that is needed is an ungreased pan over medium high heat, and cook for 30 seconds on both sides.
Corn Tortillas are ready to be cut and baked into chips.
Let’s get started with baking-
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 deg centi.
2. Stack tortillas and cut into the chip shapes that you want. Try a cookie cutter for fun shapes like stars and hearts… I made simple triangle cuts.
3. If you’d like to add any seasoning you can add it now, you can mix onions powder, garlic powder, chilli powder, salt and lime juice all together and apply this seasoning on cut tortillas. I made plain tortilla chips.
4. Lay out chips on a parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 8–10 minutes, no longer because they can burn quickly.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Enjoy them with fresh home made tomato salsa.
Simple Home made tomato salsa recipe:-
1. Chop onions, tomatoes, green chillies, pickled jalapenos, coriander leaves as fine as possible.
2. In a large bowl add all the ingredients mix well.
3. That’s it, simple home made tomato salsa is ready. Serve with tortilla chips.