In my entire life I haven’t tasted lemon curd until recently when we had a delicious dessert made of lemon curd. I was awe struck with the soft, sweet, tangy taste of this curd. I could not stop eating after 1, we went on and ordered 3 each. So that was my first introduction to lemon curd.
I’m very excited to share today’s recipe, fresh home made lemon curd. A amazingly luscious, tarty, irresistible Lemon curd.
Here’s home made lemon curd recipe
8-10 limes, – juice extracted which gave half cup of juice(increase lime juice if you think it isn’t tart enough)
100gms unsalted butter, cut into pieces
4 eggs beaten
450gms/1 cup – castor sugar
Method of preparation:-
1. In a medium sized heat resistant bowl/stainless steel bowl whisk together the juice, zest, sugar and eggs until incorporated and the sugar has dissolved.
2. Place the heat resistant bowl over a sauce pan of simmering water.
3. Gently cook the mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon, until it thicknes. Stir frequently and continue to cook until the curd has thickened and the curd coats the back of the wooden spoon – approx 7-10 minutes.
4. Take the curd off the heat and then add the butter, stirring to incorporate it to the curd. Pour the curd mixture through the prepared strainer to make sure there are no lumps in the lemon curd.
5. Pour into warm sterile jars , cover and seal. Allow to come to room temperature, then refrigerate.
That simple it is. It’s luscious and irrestible. I couldn’t stop myself from licking the spoon
With rich luscious curd on hand, could dessert be far away? So what did I do with this luscious curd? Did I make lemon shortbread bars, or biscuits, or used as garnish/filling?? Keep guessing until my next post to find out Happy Guessing!
My Notes :-
1. I used lime in place of lemons as I could not get lemons. Please use lemons.
2. If you like more tangy, you can use more lemon juice. If you find the lime juice more tangy you can add extra sugar. Adjust accordingly.
3. Always sieve and then use. This results in smooth, and luscious curd which is lump free.
4. Some recipes used only egg yolks, I have used whole eggs and I liked the texture of my lime curd. You can use only egg yolks and make this lime curd. I’m guessing the texture would be slightly different and a bit more rich in taste.