I had a huge fresh cauliflower lying in my fridge crying to me to be used into some thing delicious. What could I do? There were thoughts running in my mind, so many of them which wore my brain down. I wanted something new, something interesting and something delicious. I seeked for internet help and finally settled on a recipe, I was very excited to try it out. That’s cauliflower bread sticks.
Phenomenal low carb alternative to traditional cheesy breadsticks. These cauliflower breadsticks are full of flavour, cheesy and easy. Well, you can obvisouly tell you are not eating a “bread stick”, but cauliflower bread stick is a darn good and I dont have to mention it’s totally healthy.
These are Bread Sticks that are Low carb and tasted so good! Low carb, gluten free, grain free. Awesome!
The key is to get the “crust” to actually crisp up. Well as you can see, I did not make my cauliflower sticks crisp, as I was going to feed these to my kids and my younger one who is 1 1/2 years has just started to chew things, so wanted to make it easy for him to eat it up.
Here’s cheesy cauliflower bread sticks recipe. Adapted from here.
Cauliflower – 1 head
Egg whites – from 4-5 eggs
Grated cheese – 1/2 cup + 3/4 cup( I sed mozzerella, best option is to use parmesan)
Italian seasoning – 1 tsp
Fresh ground pepper – 1 tspn
Salt to season
Sauce for dipping – Marinara sauce/tomato sauce…
Method of preparation:-
1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees C. Rinse cauliflower, remove outer leaves and separate into florets with a paring knife. Place cauliflower florets in a food processor and process until “rice” texture. Some coarse chunks are fine.
2. Place in an oven proof baking dish and bake for 20 mins. Remove cooked cauliflower from the oven and transfer to a bowl lined with a tea/linen towel. Let the cauliflower cool down a bit until it is safe to touch, about 15 minutes.
3. Fold the towel holding by the ends and squeeze the liquid out of the cauliflower “ball” as hard as you can. Be patient and do this a few times until barely any liquid comes out.
4. Increase oven temperature to 190 degrees C. Transfer cauliflower to a mixing bowl along with egg whites, 1/2 cup cheese, herb seasoning, black pepper, pinch of salt and mix to combine.
5. Transfer cauliflower mixture onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten with your hands into a rectangle, 1/4″ thick.
6. Bake for 18 minutes, remove from the oven and top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes and then broil until cheese turns golden brown. Cut into 12 breadsticks and serve hot with warm marinara sauce, if desired. P.S. For a lighter version, do not top with cheese(I added only 1/4 cup cheese on top).
7. Serve immediately, fresh and hot out of oven. If they cool down they would not taste good. Always serve these hot. Enjoy!
1. It’s very important to squeeze out the cauliflower completely and make it dry. They wont crisp up if it had moisture content in it.
2. Adding parmesan cheese gives it a beautiful color and taste to the bread sticks, I could’nt get parmesan cheese, so I used mozzerella.
3. Storage Instructions: Refrigerate covered for up to 2 days. You can also freeze the breadsticks tightly wrapped in plastic, for up to 1 month. Thaw on a counter or in a microwave.