Malpua is an Indian sweet dish that is basically a sugar syrup soaked pancake prepared from a batter of refined flour, milk and cardamom. These pancakes are usually fried in ghee/clarified butter till crisp along the edges, soaked in sugar syrup, garnished with pistachios and served warm with a topping of Rabri/rich thickened milk. There are many variations of Malpua based on the region it is prepared.
Every time I see a malpua I try to stay away from it as it’s so rich and it’s deep fried in ghee/clarified butter. One day while watching a TV program(NDVT channel) I found this recipe and I instantly wanted to try it. I modified the recipe and this is what you’ll be doing, The recipe uses a combination of ragi flour/finger millet flour, whole wheat flour and oats instead of refined flour, and malpuas are shallow fried instead of deep fried in oil and dipped in jaggery syrup instead of sugar syrup. Wow, that was like a jackpot recipe, a rich indulgent sweet that can be made wholesome and guilt free. Added to all these plus points, te recipe is so easy.That’s it, I had to make it and I thought this was perfect recipe to share with you all for Holi as Holi festival is just around the corner. Make these whole some sweet dish for any occasion and enjoy it, guilt free! :D. You don’t want to miss this for sure, satisfy your sweet cravings with these whole some guilt free malpuas.
Here’s Ragi Malpua recipe-
For the malpua:
Ragi flour/Finger millet flour – 4 tbspn
Whole wheat flour – 2 tbspn
Oats (ground) – 1 tbspn
Freshly ground sugar, 2 tbspn(adjust as per your sweet perference)
Few tablespoons of milk(to make the batter)
1 tsp of rice bran oilor any cooking oil per malpua
For Jaggery Syrup:
Crushed jaggery – 1/2 cup
Water – 1tspn
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tspn
Grated fresh coconut or dessicated coconut
Almonds – few thin slices
Method of preparation:-
For the malpua:
1. Sieve the flour and mix the flours. Add milk to form a runny paste. Then add the ground sugar. Whisk again until no lumps are formed. Leave it to rest for about 15-20 minutes.
2. When the batter is resting, we will prepare the jaggery syrup.
For the syrup:
3. Heat a deep bottomed pan and add crushed jaggery along with 1 tspn of water, keep stirring and heat until the jaggery melts. Do not over boil the jaggery, you dont need any string consistency here, all you want to do it melt the jaggery and form a syrup. As jaggery syrup cools it will tend to thicken, when it thickens just place the syrup back on heat and it will come to right consistency, or you could even add few drops of water and place it on heat for about a minute. Keep the jaggery syrup aside until we shallow fry the malpuas.
4. Now take a non stick pan and add oil to the pan. Take a ladleful of the malpua batter and pour it in the center. Let it brown, and wait till the edges come away a bit. Then flip it and brown the other side. Take it off the pan before it gets too crisp.
5. Dip the malpuas in jaggery syrup and remove it immediately. Do not let it sit it syrup for long time.
6. Garnish malpuas with grated coconut, pomegranate seeds and almond slices. Serve them warm or cold.
Wholesome and guilt free malpuas that you can enjoy it as much as you want. Enjoy it!