Surprise the ones you love with this Hearts Desire Cake! From an unexpected texture of the cake, to a surprise baked into a cake, I know this sweet surprise will bring a huge smile and excitement on the faces of people you serve this. Not just for Valentine, make it for any special occasion and surprise your loved ones!
For Valentine’s day week, Subhashini of Fondbites gave us a perfect Valentine day recipe, a combination of chocolate, heart and a surprise, all in one. This is Fondbites Bake Along # 62 – Surprise inside chocolate heart cake – valentine special cake.
Here’s Surprise inside chocolate heart cake recipe
Perfect Pound Cake –
Milk – 45 gms
Eggs – 3 Large (150 gms)
Pure vanilla extract – 1 1/2 teaspoons
Sifted cake flour – 150 gms
Sugar – 150
Baking powder – 3/4 teaspoon
Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
Unsalted butter – 184 gms, softened
Red food color – 1 tspn
Perfect All-American Chocolate Butter Cake –
Dutch-processed Cocoa powder – 63 gms
Boiling water – 236 gms
Eggs – 3 large (150 gms)
Pure vanilla extract – 2 1/4 teaspoon ( 9 gms)
Sifted all purpose flour – 235 gms
Sugar – 300 gms
Baking powder – 1 tablespoon
Salt – 3/4 teaspoon
Unsalted butter – 227 gms, Softened
Extra – Dark chocolate – 100 gms, chopped
Butter – 1 tspn
Perfect Pound Cake –
1. I used a 9×4 inch loaf pan, greased with butter and lined parchment paper. Pre heat the oven to 150 centi.
2. Add eggs in a bowl and whisk until they are broken down. Next add milk and vanilla essence and whisk again.
3. Add all the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into another bowl. Add butter and 1/4 part of the egg mixture and beat until the dry ingredients have been moistened up.
8. Increase the speed to high and beat for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
9. Now add the rest of the egg mixture and beat.
10. Add red food color and whisk until the color gets well incorporated into the cake dough.
11. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the top. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 to 40 minutes at 180 degree C. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean. Cool on wire rack.
12. Cling wrap the cake and freeze it for 2 hours to overnight.
Perfect All-American Chocolate Butter Cake (With a surprise inside)
1. Pre-heat oven to 150 degree C. Line up 6 inch by 12 inch loaf pan with butter paper on the bottom and sides of the pan. Grease the paper with butter.
2. To cocoa powder add boiling water and mix well with a spoon until no lumps are left.
3. Whisk the eggs together in a bowl.
4. To the eggs add 1 part of cocoa and whisk until weel combined.
5. Add cake flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in the bowl of your electric beater.
6. Add softened butter into the dry mixture. Add the remaining cocoa mixture along with butter and start beating on medium speed. Beat on medium just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
7. Increase speed to high and beat for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
8. Add the egg and cocoa mixture in 3 parts, beating for 20 seconds on medium speed after each addition.
9. Pour the batter in the prepared loaf tin and fill just half of the tin.
10. Remove the frozen vanilla pound cake and slice them into 1/2 inch thickness.
13. Use heart cookie cutter and cut them into heart shapes.
14. Start placing the heart shaped pound cakes into the half filled loaf pan. Make sure to place them next to each other. Try not to push it down, place them with very little pressure.
15. Finish arranging all the hearts.
16. Now pour the remaining batter and fill the pan 3/4th full. If you have remaining batter, use them to make cupcakes.
17. Smooth out the top and tap down few times to release any air bubbles.
18. Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 to 50 minutes at 150 degree C. A tooth pick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean.
19. Cool on wire rack. Once completely cooled, pour melted dark chocolate ganache(melt dark chocolate in microwave, add 1 tspn of butter and mix well) and allow it to set.
20. Surprise your loved ones with this cake, Cut the cake in front of them. Happy Valentine’s day to every one.
1. Use the remaining cake bits and pieces to make either cake pops, cake truffle, etc.
2. Make sure to cut the cake only after it has cooled completely, you can even refrigerate it for few hours before cutting to ensure you get nice, clean slices of cake. I was in a hurry to cut the cake as I wanted to shoot pictures before the sun went down. You can clearly see my slices are not neat and the chocolate cake was still hot…