Onion tomato chutney is one of the basic chutney in every house hold on Tamil Nadu. My mom makes it alteast 3-4 days a week along with other types of chutneys. We South Indian, eat a lot of Idli, dosas for our break fast and dinner and chutney is a must for these break fast items. Along with coconut chutney, kara chutney(onion tomato chutney) is made. Onions and red chillies are the main ingredients of kara chutney. Tomatoes and garlic adds to the flavor of this spicy tasty chutney!
There are lots of ways of preparing kara chutney. Different preparations had different flavors and adds a distintive taste to the chutney. Today’s recipe if the basic onion-tomato chutney, using this basic recipe a lot of other variations can be made by adding few different ingredients.
Here’s the basic onion tomato chutney recipe –
Onion – 1 (medium sized)
Tomato – 2
Dried red chilies – 3 nos(adjust as per requirement)
Salt – to taste
Cooking oil – 2 tsps
To Temper –
Oil – 1/2 tspn
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafetida (Hing) – a pinch
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Method of preparation:-
1. Chop onions and tomato.
2. Heat oil add red chillies. Sauté till onions turn transparent. Add tomatoes and salt. Fry till tomatoes turn soft / cooked enough. Allow the mixture to cool.
3. Add water(as needed) and fine grind the mixture. Ensure to add right amount of water else chutney would become watery.
4. Heat oil and do the tempering with the ingredients mentioned in the list to temper. Add it to the chutney.
5. Enjoy onion tomato chutney with idly/dosa!
1. You can include ingredients like garlic pods, 1/2 inch ginger, urad dal channa dal, tamarind to the chutney.
2. You can even add few leaves of coriander and mint while grinding or toss it in oil along with other ingredients.
3. There a a lot of ways to do this chutney. Just follow with the ingredients you have and prefer.