There are very few things in life that are best past their prime – but the banana is definitely one of them! If you’ve got a bunch of dark bananas looming on your countertop, what would you do? If you ever scrunched your nose at a spotty banana or tossed it in the trash while holding your breath feeling sorry for not used up the fruit while they were ripe and fresh, it’s time to apologize. Never ever toss these black skin over riped bananas in your trash, as these ugly looking too sweet, too mushy, too hideous, too icky fruit can transform dishes in ways its more yellow, firmer counterpart cannot.
Adding these over ripe bananas make the more enjoyable banana breads, pancakes, cheesecakes and doughnuts will be. Bananas also become softer as they ripen, which makes them easier to mash and adds a density to recipes. Turn your over-ripe bananas into a range of baked treats, from sweet breakfast banana bread to decadently spiced banana cakes
Here’s healthy ripe banana oats cookies recipe which is flour less, egg less, butter less and it’s vegan!
Over Ripe Bananas – 8 nos(I used the small ones, if you are using large bananas add 3-4 of them)
Rolled Oats – 1 cup(I used quick cooking oats)
PItted Cranberries – 1/4 cup(As fresh ones are not readily available in my part of the world I used dried ones)
Olive oil – 1/2 cup
Fresh ground cinnamon powder – 1/2 tspn
Vanilla extract – 1 tspn
Method of preparation:-
1. Peel skin of the bananas and mash them into smooth paste.
2. Add oats, cranberries, olive oil, cinnamon powder, vanilla extract and mix them well.
3. Pre heat oven at 170 C. Line a baking tray with parchment or butter paper.
4. Pinch a lemon sized ball of the banana mix and give them a rough cookie shape as possible. Place them on baking tray lined with parchment paper. Space them about 1 inch apart(these cookies dont grow)
5. Bake in pre heated oven for 15-20 mins until the oats begin to turn slightly golden brown and the cookies are firm to touch.
6. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Move to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. These cookies are best enjoyed the next day.
1. I did not add sugar to my cookies as the bananas was sweet enough. If you feel like adding more sweet you can add few tablespoons of brown sugar or honey.
2. Feel free to substitute cranberries with pitted dates. You can also make it interesting by adding almonds, raisins, … use your creativity here
3. I decided to keep these cookies healthy. Dont mind a few extra calories, add choco chips.