Lassi is a yogurt based drink that is very popular dish from Punjab. It is a blend of yogurt, water, spices and some times fruits in it. During summers lassi is consumed in every house hold almost everyday.
Traditional lassi is a salted/savory drink which is flavored with roasted cumin. Sweet lassi however contains sugar or fruits in it.
Mango Lassi is a sweet drink which has yogurt, milk, mango and sugar(if needed) and flavored with cardamom powder. Lassi is usually served thick. It’s a rich drink, essentially like a smoothie made of mango and yogurt being the main ingredients.
To beat the summer heat make these delicious mango lassi. It’s very cooling in nature and best during hot Indian summers. The sweetness of the mangoes and the coolness of the yogurt makes it a favorite summer drink for all.
For flavoring I added cardamom powder and saffron strands. You can skip it if you don’t like, but I recommend not to. The aroma of cardamom powder makes the lassi so delicious!
Lassi’s are easy to make. Just blend all ingredients and serve, and if using fruits, you just have to chop them, that’s all!
Here’s mango lassi recipe-
Alphonso Mango – 2
Thick Yogurt – 1 cup
Milk – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 2 tspn(skip this if your mangoes have enough sweetness)
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tspn
Ice Cubes – few
For garnish –
Cardamom powder – generous pinch
Saffron strands – few
1. Peel and chop the mangoes. To a blender add chopped mangoes, yogurt, milk, sugar(if adding), cardamom powder and pulse everything till smooth.
2. Add ice cubes and pulse again. Pour into serving glasses, garnish with cardamom powder and saffron strands and serve chilled.
3. You can refridgerate it for only a few hours, don’t forget to consume it the same day.
1. You can use rose water too for flavoring. But I don’t like the flavor of rose water in my lassi.
2. Garnish with chopped nuts like pistachios, almonds.