Traditionally kuzhi paniyaram is made using left over idli or dosa batter. Usually I make idli batter once a week in big quantities and store it well in fridge. The batter stays good for 5-7 days in the fridge.
While the batter is fresh I make idlis and dosas. By the end of 4th or 5th day when i’m left with very little batter I make Kuzhi paniyarams.
So traditionally I have seen my mom make kuzhi paniyaram using left over idli or dosa batter.
Oats kuzhi paniyaram is an instant and easy to cook dish. There is no soaking, no fermentation involved. If you are in a hurry to whip up a quick and healthy breakfast you can make these quick and easy dish.
Some mix oats flour with left over idli/dosa batter. I made paniyaram batter with just oats and a little bit of rice flour. The paniyaram turned out crispy, soft and melt in your mouth.
Here’s oats masala kuzhi paniyaram recipe-
Oats – 1 cup(I used steel cut oats)
Rice flour – 3 tbspn
Salt to taste
Thick curd – 1 cup
Cooking soda – 1/2 tspn
Onions – 2 large
Green chillies – 3-4 nos
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tspn
Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
Water – as required
Oil – for temper and for cooking the paniyaram
1. Dry roast oats on low flame for 3-4 minutes. Do not let the oats change color. Remove from stove and let it cool. Grind to a fine powder.
2. Add the oats flour and rice flour in a large bowl. Add salt mix well. Keep aside.
3. Heat 1 tspn of oil in a small wok. To hot oil add mustard seeds and let it crackle. Add cumin seeds and fry for a minute.
4. Add finely chopped onions, green chilies and saute till onions turn soft and pink.
5. Add the tempered onion mix, chopped coriander leaves to the oats batter and mix well. Add curd and cooking soda, mix.
6. Add required amount of water and mix. Do not add more water. The oats paniyaram batter has to be thick like idli batter or uttapam batter.
7. Heat the paniyaram pan. Add few drops of oil into each hole. Pour oats paniyaram batter into each hole leaving some space over the top for it to rise.
8. Allow it to cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Using a wooden skewer or spoon turn the paniyaram, check the sides. If they are browned, flip them over gently and allow them to cook on the other side.
9. Remove from heat and repeat the same procedure with rest of the batter. Serve oats masala paniyaram hot with spicy coconut chutney or tomato chutney.