Summer might be long gone here in my part of the world. It’s become much cooler than the rest of the places in India who is still long waiting for the monsoon to arrive. I might be battling with a sore throat since the weekend. All this could not stop me from popping a Popsicle in my mouth!
Sometime last week the little one caught virus from his playschool mates and came back home sneezing. He sneezed on and off for 2 days. I knew what was coming. I immediately started him on homeo meds but he had to get that congestion and cough no matter what. It’s a pattern he has, the moment he starts sneezing for no reason, we know nothing would really help me. He eventually gets congestion and coughs for a week minimum. The homeo meds helps him come out of congestion in about a week to 10 days time, but never helps him from not entering the congestion and cough start even though I give him meds right from the beginning. If he doesn’t take his homeo meds, his congestion stays for a month and he coughs non-stop throughout night. So homeo meds are like life savers for us.
Since he got his cough he has been sneezing and coughing all over the house. The next pattern that was sure to follow is, the rest of us to catch it. The virus got into me and my daughter as well. Luckily Raj was unaffected. So over the week end I got a sore itchy throat and daughter coughed for one full night, no medicines, no warm honey water helped. After 2 days, her congestion started to reduce, she still have a bit of running nose. So that was the episode of congestion in the family since 2 weeks now.
The sore itchy throat and congestion did not stop me from making this gorgeous color Popsicle. During the weekly vegetable shopping, I saw a packet of unbelievably fresh strawberries. Unbelievable cause, they were really fresh in spite of not being the season for strawberries here. I immediately picked the box and I knew I was making strawberry Popsicle that very moment. When I entered home, mangoes on the dining table were all ripped and calling me out with it’s smell. The smell of ripe mangoes is very tempting. So with 2 best seasonal produce, this strawberry mango Popsicles got done in a jiffy.
Ingredients (Makes 4 medium sized Popsicle’s)
2 ripe mangoes (Alphonso variety tastes best)
- Hull strawberries and chop into pieces. Blend it in a blender until you get a smooth puree. Add ½ to 1 tablespoon water if needed.
- Peel the skin on mangoes and chop the pulp into pieces. Blend it until you get smooth puree.
- Alternatively pour each fruit mix into the Popsicle mold. If you wish you can pour in small quantities to make more layers.
- Cover and place it in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and insert the Popsicle stick now that way the stick stays in it’s place.
- Cover and freeze for another 30 minutes. Homemade, healthy, fruity, gorgeous colors Popsicle is ready.
- Just before serving, remove the mold from freezer and dip the mold in warm water for 5 to 7 seconds. Then gently pull the Popsicle out holding on the stick. This should help the Popsicle come out of the mold easily without breaking.