A beautiful sour taste from the raw mangoes makes this aviyal(or stew) really delicious! Definitely give this variation of aviyal a try when mango are still in season.
This is one of the simplest dish to cook and a best way to clean up your stock of vegetables in the refrigerator. Mixing different types of vegetables in your dish gives the dish a robust texture, flavour and varied taste. The goodness of such dishes can go on to a huge list. It is also one of the amazing ways to make fussy/picky eaters at home to take in the vegetables without even knowing about it :D. I love such tricks. Tricks to make my family eat some of the vegetables that they otherwise wont not even touch it, forget about eating
Aviyal is a staple Kerala dis which has loads of vegetables in it. Traditionally Aviyal is cooked vegetables with coconut-green chili paste in it, that’s it, nothing else. It tastes delicious and goes perfect with red rice(Kerala rice) and sambar. You can use vegetables like carrots, elephant yam, plantain, pumpkin, eggplant(brinjal), drumstick, beans etc to make Aviyal. Add a little but wonderful twist to the usual aviyal by adding raw mango (pachhai manga) to make pacha manga aviyal or raw mango coconut stew. A beautiful sour taste from the mangoes makes this aviyal really delicious! Definitely give this variation of aviyal a try when mango are still in season.
2 cups mixed vegetables(carrots, drumstick, brinjal, potatoes, yam, and green beans)
1 small raw mango, cut into 1 inch lengthwise
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 cup grated coconut
1 tablespoon ginger juliennes
6 Green chilies + 3 extra slit
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cup shallots
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Salt to taste
- Coarsely grind fresh grated coconut, 6 green chilies ,cumin seeds and shallots with little water. Keep aside.
- Cook the vegetables with just enough water and turmeric powder on medium flame.
- When the vegetables are cooked (do not over cook) add raw mango pieces and cook for another 7 minutes.
- Add coconut mixture and salt to taste stirring carefully.
- Cook for 2 minutes till dry on low flame.(If you prefer to make it little gravy type, add few teaspoon of yogurt and mix well, turn off flame immediately)
- Finally add curry leaves and coconut oil.
- Serve with rice