Instant rava vada – a perfect recipe for those lazy days where you dont want to spend time cooking.
Instant food is a boon. Not just for working women or for busy mothers but for everyone. In this fast pace life style we most times want to cook food that is easy to cook, uses simple ingredients and is fast. This instant rava vada will make your life easy whenever you think of making vadas be it for unannounced guest treats, or for evening snacks and even festivals.
My hubby LOVES vada. He orders vada every single time we got out for breakfast or evening snack. I don’t enjoy deep fried/oily stuff. So this vada was cooked for the family members and the verdict I got from the vada lover –‘ This is GOOD!’.
There is no soaking, no grinding, no fermenting, no waiting…all you do is mix rava and curd add all the ingredients to it, made vadas and relish it.
Semolina/Chirotti Rava – 1 cup
Curd/yogurt – ½ cup plus a little extra as needed
Onion, chopped- 4 table spoon
Green chillies – 2
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Ginger, chopped – ½ teaspoon
Asafetida- ¼ teaspoon
Baking Soda – one pinch
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
Salt – to taste
Oil- to deep fry
- Into a bowl add semolina, chopped onions, chopped green chilies, chopped ginger, cumin seeds, chopped curry leaves, asafoetida, salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add 1 tablespoon yogurt at a time and mix well. Keep adding yogurt little at a time and mix until you get a batter that has the consistency of medhu vada batter(not too runny or too thick)
- Cover and rest the batter for 15 minutes while you heat oil in a deep bottom pan for deep frying.
- Before frying, mix batter for 1 or 2 minutes well.
- Wet your right hand well by dipping inside water and take a small ball of batter. Shape into round and then flatten into a disc shape. Now use your thumb to make hole in the middle and drop it in oil (you can follow banana leaf method where the vadas are shaped on banana leaf and then slide the shaped vadas into hot oil)
- Be very careful while doing this and stand as far as possible from hot oil. DEFINITELY no kids around you while you are deep frying the vadas.
- Fry on medium-low flame, turn the vadas and fry till both the sides turn crisp and golden brown.
- Remove from oil and let it sit on kitchen towel for excess oil to be absorbed. Repeat the process for rest of the batter.
- Crunchy hot and delicious vadas are ready to be served. The vadas are best when paired with Chutney and Sambar. DELICIOUS!